Important Travel Update for Ohioans at Home and Abroad
I wanted to give you the latest update on travel recommendations from the State Department. Please share with anyone it may help.
Due to the impact of COVID-19, the State Department has issued a Level 4 Travel Advisory to avoid all international travel. Americans should not travel overseas, and any Americans abroad who are currently able to arrange travel back to the U.S. should return immediately.
Ohioans Stranded Abroad
Many Ohioans have reached out to me regarding loved ones stranded abroad. If you or a loved one is currently unable to return to the U.S., please read and share the following information:
- Only trust information provided directly by the State Department, its agencies, or congressional sources. Be wary of travel scams on social media.
- Please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP allows U.S. nationals abroad to receive important safety information from the Embassy and makes it easier for the State Department to contact you in the event of an emergency.
- For all Ohioans experiencing some form of crisis internationally, please contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or call the following numbers:
- 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada)
- 1-202-501-4444 (from overseas)
- If for any reason, an Ohioan traveling abroad is having difficulty obtaining assistance from the resources above, please contact my office and we will do our best to assist.
When communicating with any agency within the Department of State,please have the following information ready:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Current location
- Email address
- Phone number where they can be reached at in current location
- Names and additional information for any family members currently with you
- Any medical conditions
- Additional information the Department of State should be aware of
Lastly, the State Department has indicated two things:
- U.S. citizens abroad should continue making plans to return using commercial travel options, as charter flights are not available from the State Department.
- Currently, financial assistance for return flights to the U.S. or for lodging abroad is not available. Ohioans should communicate directly with local banking institutions to determine if and how money transfers are offered.
I understand these are difficult times for many Ohioans. Throughout this emergency, we are all in this together. I will do everything I can to get relief to you and your loved ones and provide you with important information.
Thank you for reading and staying informed.