WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) announced his opposition to Judge Neil Gorsuch, President Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court.
“The people of Ohio deserve Supreme Court Justices who will defend the rights of working families over Wall Street and corporate special interests – and Judge Gorsuch’s record doesn’t pass that test,” Brown said. “I cannot support any nominee who does not recognize that corporations are not people. The Supreme Court has enormous influence over the lives of everyday Ohioans, and any nominee must be willing to defend their rights to make their own healthcare decisions, collectively bargain for safe workplaces and fair pay, and to be protected from discrimination and Wall Street greed.”
Senator Brown thoroughly reviewed Judge Gorsuch’s record ahead of tonight’s expected announcement and found a record that is far outside of the judicial mainstream. Gorsuch’s record includes:
- Ruling that corporations are people;
- Ruling against women’s rights to basic healthcare at places like Planned Parenthood;
- Arguing against the rights of working Americans to band together to hold Wall Street and corporations accountable for abuses;
- Hostility toward anti-discrimination and criminal justice protections, including opposition to equal protection for LGBTQ Americans; and
- Judicial theories that oppose protections that ensure clean air and water and safe food and medicine.