CLEVELAND, OH – Today, U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH), along with several northeast Ohio partners, hosted the fifth annual “Women’s Leadership Summit: Asserting Your Power” at the Huntington Convention Center in Cleveland. The one-day program, hosted by Dee Perry, highlighted the good work women are doing in northeast Ohio.
“The theme of this conference – ‘asserting your power’ – is a rallying cry for all of us. It’s always been ordinary Americans organizing in schools and church basements and union halls who have sparked the movements that changed this country. Women have often been the engine behind those movements – and judging by the Ohio women I meet at this conference every year, you’re going to continue to lead the way,” said Brown.
Speakers at the leadership summit included:
- U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown
- Pulitzer Prize Winner Connie Schultz
- U.S. Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL)
- U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur (D-OH-9)
- Maple Heights Mayor Annette Blackwell;
- Cleveland City Council Member Jasmin Santana;
- Amy Hanauer, Policy Matters Ohio;
- Kersha Deibel, Planned Parenthood of SW Ohio;
- Jan Conrad, Women’s Network;
- Dr. Kathnleen Buse, Women’s Leadership Institute;
- Dr. Teresa Dews, Cleveland Clinic;
- Cheryl Wahl, MetroHealth;
- And Radhika Reddy, Ariel Investors
Regional partners for the event include Communications Workers of America, North Shore AFL-CIO, GOJO, Ohio Building Trades, the George Gund Foundation, Kent State University, Cleveland State University, PNC Bank, MetroHealth, Ariel Ventures, LLC, First Federal Lakewood, Cuyahoga County, Cuyahoga County Community College, Collective Spaces Design Works, the Cleveland Clinic, and Jumpstart.
Every year, Brown hosts a women’s leadership summit in Ohio. Last year, Brown hosted the summit “Together We Rise” in Cincinnati.