WASHINGTON, D.C. – In case you missed it, U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) visited the U.S. southern border with Mexico over the weekend, where he met with advocates and those who have been working with migrants and their families as the humanitarian crisis at the border continues. During his visit, Brown reiterated his call for an end to the Trump administration’s family separation policy, which has worsened the crisis at the border and led to abhorrent, unsanitary and inhumane conditions for children and families.
Brown is cosponsoring the Stop Cruelty to Migrant Children Act, which would put an end to the Trump administration’s cruel and neglectful treatment of children at the U.S.-Mexico border and reform how children fleeing persecution are treated between the moment at which they arrive at our borders to claim asylum and the ultimate resolution of their asylum case.
Media outlets in Ohio and Texas covered Brown’s visit to the border to meet with advocates and those who have been working with migrants and their families:
- Cleveland.com – “‘That really is not a dignified way to live’: Migrants detail their stories to Sherrod Brown during border visit”
- Columbus Dispatch – “‘Not who we are as a country’: At the border, Brown blasts Trump on immigration.”
- Spectrum News– “Sherrod Brown says he was denied access to several detention facilities while visiting the southern border over the weekend.”
- WKYC – “Sen. Sherrod Brown visits southern border amid nationwide ICE raids.”
- KTSM (El Paso, TX) – “U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) visited El Paso on Sunday to tour the border and call for investigations into the detention of migrant children.”
- KFOX (El Paso, TX) – “Senator Sherrod Brown visits the Borderland and calls on President Trump to improve the conditions for migrants being detained here.”