Sen. Brown Announces More Than $1 Million For the Village of Valley View

Pre-Disaster Mitigation Grant Funds Will be Used to Elevate 13 Flood-Prone Homes in Cuyahoga Count

WASHINGTON D.C. - U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) today announced that $1,173,600 has been awarded to the Village of Valley View for the elevation of 13 residential structures in order to decrease the risk of future flood damage to the homes. The funding is distributed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) funds structures.

"Projects like this one in Valley View will benefit residents and communities affected by flooding disasters," said Brown, FEMA Region V. "These elevations will prevent damage to homes and decrease the financial impact on homeowners and local governments following a disaster."

PDM provides grants to state and local governments Lto implement long-term hazard mitigation measures.  Through PDM, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $1.6 million project.  The remaining 25 percent of the funds will be provided through funds from the property owners participating in the project. 

FEMA's mission is to support citizens and first responders in order to build, sustain, and improve capabilities to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

                                                  ###

 

 

Press Contact

202-224-3978